New datasets for live births: 2013 to 2017
Five datasets are now available, providing detailed figures on live births in England and Wales.
- live births by sex and characteristics of the mother available down to region level:
- birth rates down to local authority level:
- live births by characteristics of the mother and the father:
- live births in England and Wales down to local authority level:
- live births in England and Wales for small geographic areas - wards, lower and middle layer super output areas:
Birth statistics are derived from information recorded when births are registered as part of civil registration, a legal requirement. Figures represent births which occurred in England and Wales in the calendar year, but include a small number of late registrations from the previous year.