nomis - official labour market statistics
By Rob
(Contributor)

On 10/12/2010 at 17:06

What exactly does Manufacturing (SIC D) include?

I am a bit of a novice RE : Nomis etc however I am trying to do some research and am in a quandary as to exactly what is included within the broad spectrum of Manufacturing (SIC D)?? This is given as an option when looking at data from the annual business enquiry employee analysis under broad industrial groups. Apologies if the answer to this is straightforward and I am being thick.

By Peter Dodds
(Nomis Team)

On 13/12/2010 at 09:23
link to the 2003 SIC classification here http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/guide-method/classifications/current-standard-classifications/standard-industrial-classification/index.html
By ONS Labour Market
(Contributor)

On 13/12/2010 at 09:39
Just to emphasise that Manufacturing (D) is the definition of manufacturing under the UK Standard Industrial Classification of Economic Activities 2003 (SIC 2003). Under the newer classification (SIC 2007), Manufacturing is now section C.

However it is important to note that the changes between SIC 2003 and SIC 2007 are much deeper than simply changing where Manufacturing appears. The definition of Manufacturing under SIC 2007 is different to the definition under SIC 2003. Some activities that were previously defined to be manufacturing are no longer defined as manufacturing under the new classification and vice versa. So, there is a high correlation, but the series are discontinuous. This is true of all the industrial sectors, despite them having similar general descriptive names.
By paulbivand
(Contributor)

On 17/12/2010 at 11:37
In particular you may note that publishing activities are no longer included in manufacturing but in J Information and Communication, which also includes a lot of media-related activities formerly in Other Services. The Information and Communication section therefore includes new media and media publishing, while printing remains in manufacturing.

Create a new reply

About us | News | Release dates