New 2019 statistics released
The annual update of the Live Births in England and Wales series took place at 09.30 on 22 July 2020 with the release of new data for 2020. The datasets included in this release are:
- live births by sex and characteristics of the mother available down to region level:
- birth rates down to local authority level:
- live births by characteristics of the mother and the father:
- live births in England and Wales down to local authority level:
- live births in England and Wales for small geographic areas - wards, lower and middle layer super output areas:
Birth statistics are derived from information recorded when births are registered as part of civil registration, a legal requirement. Figures represent births which occurred in England and Wales in the calendar year, but include a small number of late registrations from the previous year.