England and Wales
More data on Nomis
- Sources of data
- Explore datasets categorised by their sources.
About this dataset
This dataset provides Census 2021 estimates on the number of cars or vans available to members of households for England and Wales. The estimates are as at Census Day, 21 March 2021.
National Park data are created by plotting unique properties as identified by their Unique Property Reference Number or postcodes into National Park boundaries current at December 2022. This differs from the OA best fit methodology used for other geographic level data.
Protecting personal data
Sometimes we need to make changes to data if it is possible to identify individuals. This is known as statistical disclosure control. In Census 2021, we:
- Swapped records (targeted record swapping), for example, if a household was likely to be identified in datasets because it has unusual characteristics, we swapped the record with a similar one from a nearby small area. Very unusual households could be swapped with one in a nearby local authority.
- Added small changes to some counts (cell key perturbation), for example, we might change a count of four to a three or a five. This might make small differences between tables depending on how the data are broken down when we applied perturbation.
About the variables
Number of cars or vans (5 categories)
Description: The number of cars or vans owned or available for use by household members.
* pick-ups, camper vans and motor homes
* vehicles that are temporarily not working
* vehicles that have failed their MOT
* vehicles owned or used by a lodger
* company cars or vans if they're available for private use
Vehicles not included:
* motorbikes, trikes, quad bikes or mobility scooters
* vehicles that have a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)
* vehicles owned or used only by a visitor
* vehicles that are kept at another address or not easily accessed
The number of cars or vans in an area relates only to households. Cars or vans used by communal establishment residents are not counted.
Households with 10 to 20 cars or vans are counted as having only 10.
Households with more than 20 cars or vans were treated as invalid and a value imputed.
Comparability with 2011: Highly comparableRead more...
|There have been no releases.
Revisions and corrections
|Date of revision
|There have been no revisions or corrections.
|[ Show / Hide historical revisions and corrections... ]